Home | Visitor | Resident | Business
1255 Yeamans Hall Road
Hanahan, SC 29410
Telephone: (843) 554-4221
Facsimile: (843) 747-3220

Hanahan, South Carolina


Building & Codes



1255 Yeamans Hall Road
Hanahan, South Carolina 29410
office: (843) 576-5259
fax:    (843) 576-5274

Hours of Operation:

8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday thru Friday except for Holidays.

This division promotes health, safety, welfare and beautification by proactive enforcement of building codes and City ordinances.

Staffing for this division consists of  the Building Official, Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer, Business License Official/Code Enforcement Officer, and a Permit Clerk. 

Building Official:
Larry Sturdivant

Business License Official / Code Enforcement Officer: 
Jennifer Parson

Permit Clerk: 
Debbie Lewis 


Village Renaissance
Neighborhood Revitalization Plan

The City of Hanahan was successful in applying for a grant to assist in revitalization efforts of the Charleston Farms Neighborhood. The first step in the process is to complete a Neighborhood Revitalization Plan to determine what activities will be carried out in the implementation phase. WE NEED YOUR INPUT!

The successful implementation of the neighborhood plan depends upon your participation!!

Please fill out this survey at the following link. This will help us in developing the plan.




To all Contractors and Subcontractors,
in order to obtain a permit you must submit
a copy of your written contract along with your SC state license.

In addition a list of all sub contractors must be submitted.

. . .By order of the Building Official


You will find a variety of services available in the Building and Codes Department.  

Here are a few things handled in this Department:

    1. Planning
    2. Zoning
    3. Permits
    4. Code Enforcement (see note)
    5. Business License
    6. Inspections
    7. Purchase Trash Karts
    8. Tree Permits
    9. Addressing

(Note: As of August 1, 2009, the City of Hanahan Police Department is assisting in Code Enforcement issues.)

Online forms are available for downloading and printing. Please go to Documents and then select Building and Codes. Please note that due to readability issues, we do not accept faxed applications or plans. Permit applications and Business License application for a new business will need to be submitted in person to the Building and Codes office.

Please call the Building and Codes front desk at 843.576.5259 for the following:

Questions pertaining to permits
Residential and Commercial Plan Review
Inspection requests
Zoning questions
Licensing questions
Code enforcement issues
Tree permits
Potholes, drainage issues, street signs, street lights
Purchasing trash carts

For information on inspections for MS4 Stormwater Management contact Larry Sturdivant at 843-576-5259 or 843-576-5260 or email him at lsturdivant@cityofhanahan.com

For contractor licensing information, contact the Business Licensing Official, Jennifer Parson, at 843-576-5259 or 843-576-5257 or email her at jparson@cityofhanahan.com


The Building and Codes goal is to provide the best customer service possible in regards to providing inspections for all of our builders, contractors and owner/builders. To request an inspection please contact the Building and Codes office at 843-576-5259 before 3pm to have an inspection scheduled for the next business day. The work to be inspected must be ready when the request is made. Any calls made after 3pm will not be put on the schedule for the next business day but will instead be listed for the next following business day. Please remember that we will still seek to provide next day inspection service; however, work load and other circumstances may warrant inspections being moved to the following business day.



The Building & Codes Enforcement Department is involved in all phases of new construction undertaken in the City of Hanahan.

New construction plans are reviewed for conformance with the International Building, Plumbing, Mechanical, Fuel, Gas, and Fire Prevention Codes; the International Residential Code; the National Electrical Codes; and the State handicapped accessibility requirements. Conformance with Federal Floodplain Management requirements is also verified through the Plan Review process.  The City is now a MS4 for Stormwater Management, so on commerical projects you have to submit plans for retention of your stormwater runoff; once the city approves your water management plans they are submitted to OCRM at DHEC.  Once we have approval from OCRM then you can receive your building permits.  Prior to the plans being released for construction, approvals are also received from the Zoning Commission.

Once all of the approvals are obtained for a project, a building permit is issued for construction. Contractors obtaining permits are required to have a State of South Carolina contractor's license, and a City of Hanahan business license for any type of construction. All licenses are verified prior to a building permit being issued.

Separate permits are required for electrical, plumbing, mechanical, gas, fire suppression, and alarm systems. Contractor licenses are also verified prior to the permits being issued. As construction proceeds, inspectors verify conformance to the adopted codes of the work in progress. Commercial projects require numerous inspections depending on the magnitude of the project.

Once a project receives approval for its final inspections by all disciplines (Building, Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical, Gas, Fire, Zoning, Engineering, D.C.C.. and Commissioners of Public Works), the electrical and gas meters are released to SCE&G or Berkeley Electric for connection to the structure. A construction Certificate of Occupancy is then issued for the structure.

You can download or print our Permit application it is located in the Online Documents section of this website under Building and Codes. Please note that due to readability issues, we do not accept faxed applications. they must be submitted in person.



All business firms, contractors, or individuals doing work (maintenance, repair, new construction) for hire in the City of Hanahan are required to have a business license and secure the necessary permit(s) before beginning work. 

For more specific information, contact the Building and Codes Department at 843-576-5259.


As of July 1, 2013

The following are mandatory codes adopted for use in South Carolina and their dates of implementation which must be enforced by jurisdictions:

    1. 2012 International Building Code, July 1, 2013
    2. 2012 International Residential Code, July 1, 2013
    3. 2012 International Fire Code, July 1, 2013
    4. 2012 International Plumbing Code, July 1, 2013
    5. 2012 International Mechanical Code, July 1, 2013
    6. 2012 International Fuel Gas Code, July 1, 2013
    7. 2011 National Electric Code, July 1, 2013
    8. 2009 International Energy Conservation Code, January 1, 2013 (see footnote 1)

Footnote 1:  The 2006 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) was adopted by the SC Legislature as the minimum standard for compliance with the State Energy Standard, thus removing it from the normal adoption process. The legislature updated the IECC to the 2009 Edition during the 2012 legislative session (Act 143) with an effective date of January 1, 2013. Future updated versions must also be adopted by statutory amendment.

The following is the permissive code that has been adopted by the City of Hanahan:

    1. 2012 International Property Maintenance Code

South Carolina Modifications to the codes can be viewed at the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation's website. www.llr.state.sc.us/POL/bcc

The International Building Code series can be viewed online at the following link: http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/st/sc/index.htm
To view a code section, left click on the specific code, left click on the appropriate chapter and then left click on the desired section. The section will be displayed in the white area near the bottom of the page.

The National Electrical Code is available for viewing online at http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/AboutTheCodes.asp?DocNum=70&EditionID=238 [for anyone with a valid email address who completes their form to register with NFPA to view the codes].


To view the City of Hanahan's CODE OF ORDINANCES at Municode.com, please go to the following link: http://www.municode.com/library/clientCodePage.aspx?clientID=2508

To view the City of Hanahan's ZONING AND LAND DEVELOPMENT ORDINANCES at Municode.com, please go to the following link: www.municode.com/library/clientCodePage.aspx?clientID=2508

The following ordinances can be viewed in the "Documents" section. Note: select "Building and Codes".



 Now Online . . .

City of Hanahan's Zoning and Land Development Ordinance
is now posted on Municode.com
To view the Zoning and Land Development Ordinance along with the Code of Ordinance, please see the "City of Hanahan Ordinance" section of this page. IMPORTANT INFORMATION: The City of Hanahan adopted their new Zoning and Land Development Ordinance in December 2008.


On February 9, 2010, the City of Hanahan's City Council approved the New Official Zoning Map for the City. In this new map are new districts such as "Town Center (TC)" and "Town Residential (TR)" as well as "Residential Single Family Low Density (RSL)" and "Residential Single Family Moderate Density (RSM)". The new zoning can be viewed on Berkeley County's GIS system. Work is being performed to have a new Zoning Map posted at City Hall in the near future.



The City of Hanahan is a MS4 Jurisdiction and therefore protection of our bodies of water is vital to our environment. Construction projects within the City of Hanahan may require means for storm water protection to be provided. The following information relating to storm water management can be found in the "Documents" section on the main page. Once "Documents" is selected, please select "Building and Codes".







To access Berkeley County's GIS website, please go to the following link: http://gis.berkeleycountysc.gov/
Note: Click on the "GIS Internet Mapping" located on the left side of the screen, and then select "I Agree" at the bottom of the page. This will take you to the screen where your search can begin.

To access Berkeley County's main home page, please go to the following link: http://www.berkeleycountysc.gov/

To access South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC), please go to the following link: http://www.dhec.sc.gov/

To access International Code Council's (ICC) website, please go to the following link: http://www.iccsafe.org/Pages/default.aspx

To access the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), please go to the following link: http://www.fema.gov/

To access the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Charleston District, please go to the following link: http://www.sac.usace.army.mil/

To access the Environmental Protection Agency, please go the following link: http://www.epa.gov/lead



Q. Can I submit a permit request or a business license request online through Action Line?
A. No. At this time, all applications must be submitted to the Building and Codes.

Q. What are permits needed for?
A. "No building construction, reconstruction, alteration or repairs; no swimming pool construction, reconstruction, alteration or repairs; no electrical construction, reconstruction or repairs; no mechanical construction, reconstruction, alteration or repairs; and no gas construction, reconstruction, alteration or repairs, unless it is metered gas, shall be installed within or on any building, structure or premises without first securing a permit therefor from the building official or his assistants authorized to issue such permits. Applications for permits shall be made on forms provided for this purpose by the building official." Code of Ordinance Sec. 8-197

Q. Can a homeowner pull a permit for work at their residence?
A. Yes. A homeowner can pull various permits except for gas. Depending on the scope of work, the owner may have to fill out the owner/builder form which informs them of their responsibilities and requirements.

Q. Is a permit needed for a storage shed?
A. Yes. Documents needed are a copy of the property plat showing the proposed location along with 2 sets of drawings for the structure.

Q. Is a permit needed for a fence?
A. Yes. Documents needed are a copy of the property plat showing the proposed location of the fence. Also will need the total linear footage of the fence. Also, if there is a drainage easement, then an encroachment permit is required. This can be obtained from Berkeley County's Roads and Bridges office.

Q. Do I need a permit to cut down a tree?
A. Yes. Chapter 7 of the Zoning Ordinance details the criteria for being able to take down a tree. A Tree Removal Application will need to be filled out and submitted to the Building and Codes office. This application can be downloaded from the "Documents" section of the website or can be picked up at the Building and Codes office.

Q. Do I need a permit to pressure wash or paint my house?
A. No.

Q. Do I need a permit to remodel my house (ex. kitchen, etc.)
A. Yes. Depending on the scope of work, additional permits may be required (ex. electrical, plumbing, etc.).

Q. Where do I puchase a trash cart?
A. You can purchase a trash cart at the Building and Codes office. The cost is $71. Public Works will then deliver your cart on the next business day.

Q. When is a violation written for grass not being cut?
A. Grass and weeds are not permitted to be over 12" in height. Ten (10) days is given once the property owner is contacted.

Q. How long is given for an unlicensed vehicle on private property to be licensed or removed?
A. Thirty (30) days is given once the owner has been notified.


Business License Year - May 1st through April 30th

The City of Hanahan welcomes your business to our City. The business license office is available to assist you in completing your business license application and in obtaining other City required clearances or permits.

Every person engaged or intending to engage in any calling, business, occupation or profession for hire in whole or in part within the limits of the City of Hanahan is required to purchase a business license. The Business License Year is from May 1 through April 30.

You can download or print our Business License application which is located in the Online Documents section of this website under Building and Codes.




2009 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)

The 2009 IECC replaces Chapter 11 in the 2006 International Residential Code. To comply with this law, additional documentation is required to be submitted with your plans and permit application. The required documents are:

1) A "Prescriptive Path" form or a RESCHECK or REMrate form

2) Manual "J" (to also include Manual "D" and "S")

3) 2006 IECC Inspection Checklist

Please locate the IECC Memo and Handout forms in the document section for Building and Codes for more information. This will apply to any type of work that will involve the construction of heated square footage

* * * * * * *

EPA Lead Paint Rules Take Effect April 22, 2010!

Lead Paint Rules on Renovation and Repair to Housing, Child-care Facilities, and Schools Effective April 22, 2010.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) set new rules for certain contractors who renovate or repair housing, child-care facilities, or schools built before 1978. Workers must follow lead-safe practice standards to reduce potential exposure to dangerous levels of lead during renovation and repair activities.

EPA's "Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting Program" (RRP) rule takes full effect on April 22, 2010. Specifically, the requirements apply to renovation, repair or painting activities where more than six square feet of lead-based paint is disturbed in a room or where 20 square feet of lead-based paint is disturbed on the exterior. the affected workers include builders, painters, plumbers and electricians, for example.

Requirements: The current RRP requirements require paid contractors and maintenance professionals to be trained and certified on certain mandated lead-safe work practices before renovating or repairing housing and facilities for children built before 1978.

For more information on the EPA's lead program, please go to the following link: http://www.epa.gov/lead