In 1903 Mr. Ross Hanahan was Chairman and a chemist with the Commissioners of Public Works in the City of Charleston, South Carolina. The first construction at the now present water works was a pumping station completed in 1903. The pumping station was named the Saxon Pumping Station. The Atlantic Coast Line Railroad built a station at Highland Park which was named the Saxon Stop in 1719. The name of Saxon Pumping Station and the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Station at Highland Park was re-named Hanahan Pumping Station and Hanahan Stop after Mr. Ross Hanahan. The reason for the name change was because there was a Saxon, North Carolina on the Atlantic Coast Line. Freight destined for the Commissioners of Public Works was disbursed in Saxon, North Carolina. Freight arriving via Seaboard Railroad located on the north side of the City of Hanahan had to be trucked via Remount Road, west on Highway 52 and right on Hanahan into the water works area. The reason for this route was there was no bridge across Turkey Creek on Murray Drive.
In 1928 the Commissioners of Public Works petitioned the Berkeley County Delegation to have a bridge constructed across Turkey Creek.
In 1941 the House of Representatives passed an Act naming the area the Highland Park Water and Sewer Authority.
In 1948 the House of Representatives passed another Act renaming the area from Highland Park Fire and Water District to the Hanahan Public Service Commission.
Hanahan’s incorporation on September 21st, 1973 allowed it to become a more self-sufficient City and continue the heritage that started it as a public service district, a peaceful community.
The citizens of Hanahan adopted the Council form of Government pursuant to the Home Rule Statute, Act No. 238 of 1975. The certificate of Incorporation was issued by the Secretary of State on April 8th, 1976.