Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer

How do I file a police report?

There are two ways to file a report with the Hanahan Police Department:

  • Call 911 and an officer will be dispatched to your location (must be in Hanahan) to take a report,
  • Come to Hanahan Police Department at 1255 Yeamans Hall Road, Hanahan SC 29410. On the first floor go to the Police Dispatch window and ask to speak to an officer.

You cannot file a report over the phone.

How can I obtain a copy of my police report?

There are several ways.  In person, secured email and written request.  Police reports cost $5.00 for the initial report.  (Victims Services:  A copy of an incident report is included at no cost to the victim.)

Is there a cost for police reports?

Yes. Incident reports are $5.00.

How can I speak to the detective/investigator assigned to my case?

The assigned detective/investigator will contact the victim upon receipt of the case.

Do you do background checks? How much do they cost?

Yes. You need to fill out a form at the police department and present a valid government-issued ID. Background checks cover the City of Hanahan and are ready for pick up in 1 to 3 business days. The cost is $5.00.

Can I get my fingerprints done at the Police Department?

Yes.  Fingerprints are done at the Police Department on Monday’s, Tuesday’s, Thursday’s and Friday’s from 8:00am – 12:00pm.

How can I contact the jail or check the status of someone arrested by the Hanahan PD?

Arrestees are taken to the Berkeley County Jail at:

If the Police Department has my vehicle towed, where can I find it?

Contact our Telecommunications Department at (843) 747-5711 and speak to a dispatcher.

If the Hanahan PD obtained property from me, how can I get it back?

Contact Administrative Services at (843) 576-5266 to ensure your property is available for retrieval, the proper paperwork has been completed and to set up an appointment to retrieve it.

During what days and times can I retrieve my property?

It’s strongly suggested you call the Evidence Custodian to arrange pickup first. Come to the police department lobby between 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and the Evidence Custodian will be notified. Any arrangements for pick up outside of normal business hours will need to be pre-arranged with the Evidence Custodian.

Are there special requirements for picking up a gun held in police custody?

Yes, you need to call (843) 576-5266 prior to your arrival to make arrangements with the Evidence Custodian to complete the necessary paperwork. The Evidence Custodian is required to obtain the owner’s Criminal History prior to releasing the firearm to the owner. There are certain violations that could prohibit an owner from obtaining their firearm. A picture ID and proof of ownership is required.

I got ticketed by the Police Department. How much does it cost and how can I pay for it?

Contact the Hanahan Municipal Court at (843) 576-5263 to answer your question. Their hours are 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Is it possible to get an extra patrol while away on vacation?

Yes, you can complete a form online here.

Does the Police Department have a neighborhood watch or a business watch program?

No, currently independant HOA’s conduct their own Community Watch program.  The Police Department does provide assistance in getting the program started.

How do I deal with a theft?

To report a theft, call 843-747-5711 unless the theft is in progress then call 911.

Most thefts are opportunistic in nature, so make it more difficult for the theft to take place. For example, never leave valuable objects (laptop, I-pod, cell phone, purse, etc.) in open view inside your parked car.

Make sure you write down all your serial numbers and identification markings. Place the list in a safe place or two – maybe a list at home, and email yourself at work.

How do I deal with an animal that has been hurt or endangered?

Contact our Animal Services Division or call us at (843) 747-5711.

Back to top